Monday, March 19, 2012

Editorial: I'm done with the "Modern Warfare" era


Call of Duty MW3
I want to start this article by saying it has been at least a year since I last “traded in” a videogame. I personally enjoy the look of having a bookshelf filled full of interactive journeys (like what I did there?) at my fingertips. Where is this headed? I traded in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 last week. No, not because I got “p0wned” by some “noob” in multiplayer. I just don’t think it’s good. ..Let me tell you why.

I can’t tell you how many times I have heard the argument about the Madden franchise that as of late it is the same game with a new roster. I have several friends that don’t even buy the most updated versions, because unlike me, they don’t want to be duped again. Folks, that is just what the Call of Duty franchise has done. It slaps the same thing in front of you with a new coat of paint and doesn’t even need to beg you to make it the highest selling form of physical media to date.

I guess the other reason is that like my taste in food, clothing and woman…my taste in videogames has “matured”. I like the next triple A title like the rest of you. I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into the new Mass Effect (Which was amazing). If there is a new Gears I’m the first in line. Bioshock Infinite?  Don’t mind if I do…These are games that are constantly pushing the envelope, reinventing themselves. Fans of these franchises would cry bloody murder if it weren’t the case.

I don’t want to hear the old, “Well if it’s not broke” argument either. Those are the people that are fine with their substance- less dribble, screaming into their headsets about how much I “suck”. Maybe that should be my next point. It’s the fact that Call of Duty seems to have brought together every juiced up jock that feels that they need to prove how big they are fumbling with their joysticks and raging into a microphone. The online landscape is nothing short of a vulgarity laced wasteland where the 14 year old is king and practices using all the new 4 letter words that they’ve learned from their friends. Online gaming use to be about making friends that you would play games with, I can say myself I don’t even plug in my headset any more.

Agree with Matt? Don't agree? Let us know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I've thought this way a good amount, but I like playing for the social experience I get with my friends more that the social experience I get from other players. One of the BEST things about playing on PS3 in my opinion, a mic doesn't come packaged in!

    Still, been giving the whole trading in MW3 a thought for sure as of late, especially when I haven't been playing it...

    ReplyDelete